Type & Custom Shape Design
Prof ML Wagner
Type • Custom Shapes • Guides
• Create 2-4 files, vertical and horizontal
• Create new layer (never work on background). Fill layer with a color. Pick color, select all, edit/fill/foreground.
• Add new layer. Select a different color. Select Costume Shape Tools in ToolBox.
• See Shape, click on small gear to upper right, click on ALL/append. This adds copyright free symbols to your entire shape library. Get to know them, they are helpful and fun. Symbols communicate – like a light bulb is a good idea.
• STYLES: Styles are pre-created treatments that offer a wild array of colors, drop shadows, and textures. Styles window can be found in MENU/WINDOWS/STYLES. ADD STYLES by using small box right top of style panel. You need to append to each one at a time.
• After adding more costume shapes, merge the ones you want into one layer (just the shapes – not the background layers). Highlight one layer, hold shift key down, highlight(activate) bottom layer of shapes, they all become active. Top right of same window is a small arrow with file shape, drop down menu, select MERGE LAYERS.
• Remember if you mess up, go to Menu/Windows/History and use slider and go back to where you want to be.
• Use GUIDES to Center images and understand composition.
• SINGLE LETTER – COSTUME SHAPES – QUOTE HOMEWORK
• Use the Text tool, select font, type in a letter.
• The letter is automatically editable, meaning you can type and retype.
• Turn text into an object, this will make it no longer be editable. Select Menu/Layer/Rasterize/Type. You will notice the layer window changes from text to the object.
• Create new layer, add custom shapes while adding more layers. Merge layers and explore with styles.
• Work on lower levels which is the background of the art. (not the background layer).
• Add a quote, some other text, work on the layers below.
• Save file as: lastname_type01.jpg etc…
Here are some other examples of typography.
Invalid Displayed Gallery